Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bluff NZ Cup and NZ so far...


I know it's been a little while so here is an update of the goings-on in New Zealand.

I've had a few weeks of great training around Rotorua and I'm learning to find my way around the forest pretty well now. It has been over 20 degrees most days and I've only had to pull out the arm warmers a couple of times (and I'm not complaining). I got to spend a warm, sunny Christmas with the Peters family and compete in their Christmas tournament, playing some intense croquet and petanque. Our team finished a strong 3rd out of 4 and I learned I'm no good at croquet.

Some Redwoods near Rotorua

My own NZ stocking, thank you Heather :)
Showing everyone how to petanque
For New Years we went to Mount Maunganui on the north coast, and spent some quality time on the beach. It was by far the warmest New Years I can remember and definitely the only one that I've gotten a sunburn.
New Years moon
Top of Mt Maunganui

On Friday we flew down to the South Island to race the first NZ Cup in Bluff. The race course took us up Bluff hill on a long, gradual climb and then back to the bottom on a rocky, bermy trail. I didn't have a great race but ended up rounding off the podium in elite women. It's nice to have the first race of the season under my belt and I'm hoping to have a better race in Nelson in a couple weeks.
Top of Bluff Hill, at the bottom of NZ
 
Velodrome in Invercargill
 
For the next couple weeks I'll be travelling with the NZXC team around the South Island, visiting new places and riding lots of new trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment